Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The 24 week chicken update

Yes, Toasty Crunch and Rocky are still laying about a dozen eggs a week collectively.
No, Esther isn't laying yet (although Bubby thinks she might have done a halfhearted submissive squat the other day).
Yes, I am still buying eggs at the grocery store (but it's definitely fewer than before).

In other news, I thought that the shredded paper bedding wasn't working for the deep litter method, so I cleaned it out and put pine shavings in the hen house. 

I guess what this means is that easy wins out over inexpensive.  Good to know. 

But while I was cleaning out the paper, I realized it had composted more than I had thought.  I still think cross-cut shredded paper would work better, but perhaps my strips are adequate.  The strips of paper are just so fluffy, which in a chicken is a desirable trait, but in chicken bedding, not so much--the fluffy makes it difficult to cover and turn.  In any case, I'm committed to using pine shavings for the next 5.7 cubic feet, at least.  Maybe I'll switch back, or maybe not.

And now for the pictures!

Whatchu lookin' at?
Rocky, preparing to lay.  It was surprising to me how long the girls hang out in the nest box before the egg arrives.  I kind of thought they went in, laid an egg, and came out.  Nope.  We're not sure of the exact timing, but we do know it's at least an hour.

Esther, in the morning sun

Toasty, heading into the hen house
You done yet?!
Chickens like to lay their eggs all in the same nest box, so there is sometimes competition for the favorite.

Lately, Esther's been perching on my boot or arm.  It warms my heart.
Flying down.
I'm trying to get a video of Esther flying for y'all.  It's pretty impressive.
That's all for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...